Today begins a 30-day sit spot challenge here at Wilderness Awareness School. It's one of the simplest awareness excercises we do, and the easist to "forget".
I have to confess that I haven't done a sit spot for a long time. Too many scary young people in my old neighborhood. The big old Cedar trees at the park where I used to walk have been spray painted with bold black and red symbols and the police find stollen property in the blackberry bramble where I used to roam.
I set the alarm half an hour early today so that I could go out and sit under a tree and watch the world wake up. The morning sky was pink. The birds were vocal, and the squirrels fat and active. What a beautiful morning!
Links to Cool Sites:
My Favorite Fiction Authors and Books
- Suzanne Arruda- the Jade del Cameron mysteries: "The Mark of the Lion" "Stalking Ivory", "The Serpent's Daughter", "The Leopard's Prey" and "The Golden Cheetah"
- Ken Goddard - "Balefire" and others
- Stephen White - the Dr. Alan Gregory books are all great. "Kill Me" is my favorite.
- Harlan Coben - anything he writes is great
- Elizabeth Peters - Amelia Peabody mysteries
My Favorite Nonfiction Authors and Books
- "Coyote's Guide to Connecting With Nature" by Jon Young, Ellen Haas and Evan McGown- 2nd edition coming soon!
- Gavin De Becker - "The Gift of Fear"
- "Deep Survival" by Laurence Gonzales- the best survival book I've ever read! Not a how-to, its more of a who does,and why.
- Candice Millard - "The River of Doubt -Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey"
- Anything that starts with "Peterson's Field Guide To..."
- Tom Brown, Jr. - "The Tracker" and others
- Mark Elbroch - "Mammal Tracks and Sign" and "Animal Skulls"