It's really cool to hold a book in your hand and see your friend's name as the author! Today Dave Moskowitz, my co-worker and tracking instructor brought in the first copy of his soon-to-be-released book about tracking in the Pacific northwest. See his website here - you can preorder an autographed copy by clicking on the link you will find there.
Dave's a great tracking teacher, and his photos and track drawings are fabulous...If you have any intrest in wildlife, this book is one you will want to own. I came in early today to get lots of work done...guess how that's working out!
Another good tracking book that I just recieved from Amazon.com is "Practical Tracking" by Louis Liebenberg, Mark Elbroch, and Adriaan Louw. I had an opportunity a couple of years ago to spend a day trailing with Adriaan, who is a superb tracker from Africa. Liebenberg is the guy who started the CyberTracker Conservation evaluations (also in Africa) and Elbroch has written some of the classic tracking field guides. It's a fun book with both African and North American species. It also tells you how to stay out of trouble with the animals you are tracking.
I'm really excited about both these books, and they make me want to leave early and go to the park to track something!
Links to Cool Sites:
My Favorite Fiction Authors and Books
- Suzanne Arruda- the Jade del Cameron mysteries: "The Mark of the Lion" "Stalking Ivory", "The Serpent's Daughter", "The Leopard's Prey" and "The Golden Cheetah"
- Ken Goddard - "Balefire" and others
- Stephen White - the Dr. Alan Gregory books are all great. "Kill Me" is my favorite.
- Harlan Coben - anything he writes is great
- Elizabeth Peters - Amelia Peabody mysteries
My Favorite Nonfiction Authors and Books
- "Coyote's Guide to Connecting With Nature" by Jon Young, Ellen Haas and Evan McGown- 2nd edition coming soon!
- Gavin De Becker - "The Gift of Fear"
- "Deep Survival" by Laurence Gonzales- the best survival book I've ever read! Not a how-to, its more of a who does,and why.
- Candice Millard - "The River of Doubt -Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey"
- Anything that starts with "Peterson's Field Guide To..."
- Tom Brown, Jr. - "The Tracker" and others
- Mark Elbroch - "Mammal Tracks and Sign" and "Animal Skulls"