Find My Favorite Books at Amazon.com

Friday, May 30, 2008

Memories


Today I was late for work because I wanted to go out to the river to watch this year's Residential Program class return from their survival trip.

Several of us from the office went, because we have (most of us) been on the other side of the river. It brought back such powerful memories from my return last May. People change over the course of the year here at Wilderness Awareness School...it's an amazing process. Next week, I'll tell you a bit more and perhaps share some pics.


Today, it's too fresh to tell, and I want to do it well. In the mean time, here's a pic of my latest wildlife encounter....

4 comments:

  1. Hey Linda,
    Cool picture. I remember talking about it with you walking out this morning.

    Looking in Peterson's Mammals, I think I can tell who it is (or get within spitting distance anyway).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jonathan,
    Thanks for the kind words...it's one of the shrews, and I remember my cat bringing in one just like it a while back. Somehow I always thought shrews crawled along on their bellies...I was surprised to see this one trot across the path like a tiny little pig. I laughed out loud to see it.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ever figure out what species the shrew was?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's a Dusky Shrew, as that's the one most common around here...I still think it's really a fairy pig.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete

My Favorite Fiction Authors and Books

  • Suzanne Arruda- the Jade del Cameron mysteries: "The Mark of the Lion" "Stalking Ivory", "The Serpent's Daughter", "The Leopard's Prey" and "The Golden Cheetah"
  • Ken Goddard - "Balefire" and others
  • Stephen White - the Dr. Alan Gregory books are all great. "Kill Me" is my favorite.
  • Harlan Coben - anything he writes is great
  • Elizabeth Peters - Amelia Peabody mysteries

My Favorite Nonfiction Authors and Books

  • "Coyote's Guide to Connecting With Nature" by Jon Young, Ellen Haas and Evan McGown- 2nd edition coming soon!
  • Gavin De Becker - "The Gift of Fear"
  • "Deep Survival" by Laurence Gonzales- the best survival book I've ever read! Not a how-to, its more of a who does,and why.
  • Candice Millard - "The River of Doubt -Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey"
  • Anything that starts with "Peterson's Field Guide To..."
  • Tom Brown, Jr. - "The Tracker" and others
  • Mark Elbroch - "Mammal Tracks and Sign" and "Animal Skulls"